- Adult beetle 4 – 7mm in length.
- Red/brown in color.
- Adult beetles usually appear in the summer months, but in heated premises they can be found throughout the year.
- The larvae gradually reduce the infested timber, just leaving a thin veneer of wood on the surface.
- Emerging adults make pin-hole sized openings 1 to 2 mm in size, often called ‘shot holes’.
- Whole lifecycle is completed in about one year.
- Primary pest of wood yards.
- Given enough time, wood will be reduced to a mass of fine powder that crumbles to the touch, hence the name ‘powder post’.